Sunday, May 22, 2011

What I've Been Listening To Lately

Sooooo i've been on a post-rock/metal trip lately and to mix it up a little a bit of tech death in there as well.I have to give credit where credit is due, my friend Muz over at Of Sound Mind whom ive known for a while has been keeping me busy with post-rock by introducing me to bands like Mogwai, Ef, and Explosions In the Sky.

In the post-metal area i'm really enjoying the band And So I Watch You From Afar. They seem like a blend of post-rock and post-metal and their album Gangs is incredible. Its very similiar to modern Pelican I think.

Technical Death Metal is something I have a little trouble getting into because for the most part I feel it lacks any soul/heart. Being technical for the sake of being technical just does nothing for me. Abysmal Dawn's newest album Leveling The Plane of Existance is a good listen and pretty catchy. I know the main complaint i've heard is that they are a Morbid Angel rip off and if so I gotta check out Morbid Angel's newer stuff!

Obscura is the other band i've been listening to a bit. Their album Omnivium was released not too long ago and while I miss the stronger sound of the bass on this album its all good. If you havent heard them think of a mix between Death, Cynic, and some good ole Death Metal. My biggest complaint is the snare drum sounds like the drummer is hitting on a piece of plastic and it is terrible!

Abysmal Dawn - In Service of Time


And So I Watch You From Afar - 7 Billion People All Alive At Once

No comments: